Wednesday, April 18, 2007

vintage art.

Easter weekend, I scored a pile of old magazines from the 40s and 50s at a household sale I attended with McAllister's mother Sue. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them at the time but for a whopping $5.00 - I knew I wouldn't be sorry.



The magazine titles were Today's Woman, Better Living, Women's Day, the Post and McCall's. Their years in print ranged from 1941 through the late 50s. I've spent some time going through them all and they are so interesting to read. The articles are not only humorous to me, but still very informative. (don't get me wrong, I HEART my Martha subscription) My FAVE part are the advertisements, they are hysterical.



Then it hit me! At the same sale, I bought NINE photo frames for $5 (the photo junkie in me couldn't resist). I'm going to cut out old ads and hang them in the frames in my open kitchen shelves for a VINTAGE art feel. Some ads from back then are still big-name brands that I use. Coca Cola, Quaker Oats, Life cereal, Spam, Flavor-aid! (ok, so maybe not spam - but it still has a place in my heart given my love of email!) It will be just perfect. It also got me thinking, I found the ads suited for perhaps the BATHROOM to be the most hilarious (boy were times different back then)... I MUST have empty wall space in the bathroom awaiting a lovely soap or toiletry ad.

I've started earmarking pages to make cards and gift tags out of. Their recipients will surely be impressed. Some of the issues were holiday months, so perhaps I'll update my Christmas decor with some vintage art as well! SOOO many ideas. How fun.

Stay tuned for the before/after details!

No comments: