Saturday, October 27, 2007

crazy corn maize.

the weather didn't keep us from hitting up a CORN maize yesterday. a couple girlfriends and I went to the Zarpentine Farms corn maize. The theme of the maize was Noah's Ark. I wonder how the heck someone 'mowed' the animal shapes into the corn?! I can hardly write my initials with the lawn mower....

anyways - the objective was to find the 10 colored 'sticks' - if you answered each one correctly it gave you a clue to the next one. the maize was a LOT larger than what I expected and tough for a 'totally-bad-with-directions' girl like me. they told us some people take 3+ HOURS to get through it all. it really would be a TON of fun if you brought a large group and broke up into teams.

here are some tips for first-timers:
1. wear crappy clothes n case it is muddy outside
2a. bring a FLASHLIGHT
2b. if u forget ur flashlight, bring ur CAMERA and take a photo of the map to review when lost
2c. if u forget ur flashlight and your CAMERA runs out of batteries - ur out of luck
3. don't be shy to ask for directions from kind strangers

technically - Lanie and I lost Krista & Kimmer. somehow they emerged with all 10 sticks in less than 45 minutes. i'm pretty sure they were yawning during the rules when the race judges said 'no bartering with strangers for sticks'.

4 comments:

emily said...

hey we went to one on saturday too! It wasn't the same one though, but it was a lot of fun!

I can't figure out how to put a link in here the right way... but here is my post about our corn maze! http://emilycschaub.blogspot.com/2007/10/pretty-corny.html

Anonymous said...

Let's call a spade a spade. The old ladies cheated with their sticks. There's no way they got all 10 in 45 mins. Be wary when you go to your maize that you go with non-cheaters :)

Kim Walker said...

Okay, I'll admit it, I am one of the "old ladies", but hey, it's not HOW you played the game that people remember, it's WHO the winner is that's remembered. I like to think that the "old ladies" were resourceful, and in the end, our combined experience resulted in a win over the 'youngins'. What is the saying on "Survivor" - "outwit, outplay, outlast". I rest my case.

Anonymous said...

hey i actually work there and have been for 7yrs. i will let u know about a lil secret they dont mow the corn or anything like that they grow the corn about knee high then spray weed killer onto marked paths and let the rest of the corn grow. hope to see u out there this year